- The Book Club Book – The Help, Time Travelers Wife, etc. Accessible and well written fiction
- Pop Science – Time Magazine-esque non fiction (psychology, health, technology etc.)
- Upmarket Non Fiction – women’s, memoir
- Women’s Fiction – Elin Hilderbrand, Cathleen Schine, Jodi Picoult
- Adult Fiction – characters over 30 years of age
- Literary Fiction with Commercial Angle – Helen Dunmore, Barbara Kingsolver, Emma Donoghue
- Well Executed Romantic Suspense/Thrillers
- High Concept Plots
- Business and Tech books – Blackberry Planet, What Would Google Do? etc.
- Unique YA
As always for fiction: good writing, a marketable hook, believable characters, and a setting I want to spend time in. I want to laugh and I want to cry! See my post on how to write a great query letter.
Find the P.S. Literary submission guidelines here. Hope to find these, and a few surprises, in the query inbox in the coming months.