How To Format Your Query in 5 Easy Steps:
- Always use the default settings: remember no italics, bold, or colours.
- Capitalize your book title. That way it stands out without having to bold or italicize it and it’s transferrable across all email platforms without confusion.
- Keep your query to one page on the screen. That way we don’t have to scroll and it’s easy to consume speedily.
- Use a three paragraph format. Paragraph 1: Title, Word Count, Genre, Hook; Paragraph 2: Pitch that reads like back cover copy, not a synopsis; Paragraph 3: Your author bio, it’s okay to call yourself a debut here.
- Include a signature with your contact information, website, and social media.
And a few ways not to format your query:
- When emailing a query don’t include the date, your address or the agency address in the top left corner. It takes up too much valuable space.
- Don’t start with a quote from your book.
- Avoid writing your query in the voice and point of view of your characters.
That’s it! Good luck!
Q: What are your big query format worries?