What agents look for in a main character:
- Degree of likability
- Have a strong and unique voice
- They feel like they had a real life before the book started and after the pages are done
- No coincidences
- Motivation for what they do
- That we meet them at an interesting point in their lives
- Most importantly: They must have a secret. What are they hiding?
All strong and interesting characters carry a secret with them. A secret that is slowly revealed to the reader. A secret that some find controversial always helps. A secret that the character has to explain and is the reason why they do what they do and why they are the way they are. And remember: the best secrets impact more lives than one.
Image: Ben Wiseman NYT