I’m celebrating my four year ‘Agent-versary’ this fall! I feel so lucky to have a job (and clients!) I love so much. Who else can say they get to read and travel for a living?
Recently, I was in Avalon, NJ for a writers retreat where I got to spend time with Kathy Temean and her lovely group of writer friends and colleagues. This was our view…
What’s not to love about talking publishing at the ocean? I can smell that salty air again just looking at that picture.
Those days at the writers retreat, and long walks on the beach with an agent friend, gave me lots of time to think about my role in the industry. Working from home it’s always refreshing to be out and talking about the business in a new environment.
Agents can get a bad reputation for speaking from our high horses (“don’t send us this,” “don’t write like that”) but all of us truly know that our jobs wouldn’t be possible without writers. They have amazing, innovative, (sometimes wacky! and you know it!) ideas, but we’re so thankful for them putting their work out there every time.
I’m thankful for:
- My clients who amaze and surprise me nearly every day! (All of you.)
- My taste and selling some great debut novels this year! You know who you are. (Rebecca Phillips, Andrea Dunlop and Karen Katchur!)
- Some of my client books earning out and having them get royalty checks. (Authors making a living, much to celebrate there.)
- Taryn Fagerness, our foreign rights agent, who is doing great work for my writers in translation. Especially for Taylor Jenkins Reid who is in a whopping 10 territories now!
- My team at P.S. Literary Agency. They rock.
Cheers to my four year Agent-versary and all the hard working writers out there! Cheers to my clients for keeping me a happy agent. Cheers to so many more years to come.