Yes, even you self pubbed authors need an agent now more than ever.
There’s no disputing that you can publish your own book, get a deal by yourself meeting an editor at a conference or submitting to certain publishers that are open to the slush. I see more and more in our query inbox that an author has an offer from a small print publisher or digital first start up but want an agent to help with the process because they realize they are in over their head. They ask questions like: Is the publisher good? Should I have submitted to them on my own in the first place? I’ve written on why you shouldn’t submit to agents and small presses at the same time already, but this is about why you need an agent first.
6 Reasons You Need An Agent Now More Than Ever:
1. Access to ‘Big 5’
Yes, you can submit to small publishers by yourself, but you will never have access to all the big 5 publishers without an agent. Every writer I’ve ever met has wanted to be published in print. There are writers that are ‘okay’ with digital first publishing, but they all want to build to a career in print.
2. Complex Contracts Continue reading 6 Reasons You Need A Literary Agent Now More Than Ever
I’m excited to announce my new ebook! It’s full of my top blog posts–all updated–and new content.
Getting Published in the 21st Century: Advice from a Literary Agent
From Literary Agent Carly Watters comes Getting Published in the 21st Century, an ebook of Writer’s Digest award-winning blog content and new material primed to help writers get published.
It has never been more difficult to get traditionally published than it is right now. But with the right tools, and industry insider tips, Carly will show you how it’s possible for you.
Getting Published in the 21st Century will share with you:
• How to begin your book and why you’ve probably been starting in the wrong spot
• 10 self-editing tips that will transform your manuscript
• Carly’s 9 ways to write smarter, not harder
• 5 tips to make your query letter stand out (from someone who reads over 800 a month!)
• The top 7 reasons why agents stop reading your manuscript
• What agents are looking for in a client
• 12 ways to create an author community
Whatever question you have about crafting your novel and how to get it published, Getting Published in the 21st Century has the answers.
Buy on Amazon.
Buy on Smashwords.